image1 image2 image3

Blind Candidate: Chapter Nineteen



That name—that was the name of the woman who tried to kill Ciara. The Empress of the Epicenter. The Ruling Queen of Round.
Virgo
So she found me after all…
The light in Ciara’s eyes was slightly dimming. The wind grew harder, sending a gust of sand across her face. How did she found me…? Why now…Why kill everyone just to get me?
“That damn woman,” Liam whispered, “She’s up there, standing at the top of the cliff.”
“No kidding. Look at the Rein Army behind her. There must be hundreds—no—thousands of them,” Chase said, startled.
Click. Click. Click. Click.
The Rein guards all pointed their guns at them. We’re cornered…Ciara guessed.
 “There you are, blind girl,” Virgo’s voice was distinct, even from above. “At last, I finally found you, my pretty prey.”
“Virgo,” Ciara swallowed, “How did you find me here?”
 “I had someone tracking you,” Virgo said delightfully, “Do you think you can escape me, the Empress in this land? I have searched far and wide to find you. Once you give me what I want, I will stop trying to ruin your life.”
“What are you talking about?” Ciara shouted. “You have already obtained my memories and activate those bombs. What else do you want from me—?”
“Haven’t you thought about it?” Virgo snarled, “You are the only one that can deactivate those bombs. A living threat to my plans.”
“I-I don’t know anything!” Ciara screamed.
 “Liar,” Virgo snorted, “If you don’t remember anything, then why did you visited that Prophet?”
Ciara closed her mouth.
“And what’s more funny is you joining the Vixens,” Virgo snorted. Ciara tightened her fists on her sides, “especially you, Liam.”
Ciara heard Liam taking shallow breaths beside her. How does she know Liam?
“But never mind that. I don’t care a single thing about you two,” Virgo ordered, “Shoot those brats. I don’t want anyone alive.”
Oh, no.
Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam!
Ciara squeezed her hands over her ears, and tightly shut her eyes. The sound was too thunderous. But thankfully none of the bullets hit her.
She’s going to kill me…Ciara thought as the deafening noise still went on. She’s going to take me back to Sore Tower and torture me again.
When the noise died down, the smell of blood struck her nose. It was intensifying, and it nearly threw Ciara off guard. Ciara gagged. I can’t breathe. The air smelled too much blood...Ciara thought. Wait.
Even if it was too dark to see, Ciara immediately knew what was going on. Her heart throbbed. Liam and Chase’s voice were agonizing, as if they were groaning in pain. Ciara cupped her nose and mouth with her hand, and concentrated. There’s too much blood everywhere…I can hear Liam and Chase’s heavy breathings…Ciara sensed. Wait, something is wrong…something is…
“Liam, Chase!” Ciara shrieked. This feeling…
Two loud thuds on the floor. Ciara’s eyes widened. Liam and Chase have been shot.
Acid rose up Ciara’s throat.
They’ve been shot. Not just one bullet, but multiple shots on their upper body, their stomach and their legs. Ciara shivered. They won’t be able to survive much longer…
“N-no…” Ciara gritted her teeth, “Don’t…die…” she could taste her salty tears on her lips, “Please…don’t die…”
Liam and Chase. They were the reasons why she’d been happy during her stay at Sputter Palace. The Crude Brothers were almost like her family. Even if everyone mistreated her, the Crude Brothers were the reasons why they were so special to her.
“Don’t worry about me, I’m strong, you know,” Liam grinned.
“I never had a friend before, especially like me,” Chase shyly said, “I’m glad that you came along, Ciara.”
“Don’t scare me like that,” Liam shouted, “I don’t know what I’ll do after that.”
“Thank you, Ciara.” Chase said.
 “Forget what I said a while ago, it was just an accident, okay?” he gulped, “Ciara, I kissed you because I like you…and it’s the truth…” Liam continued, “Ciara, please forgive me.”
Then the thoughts began to crumble one by one, as if the memories had turned into ashes, burned by the flames rising in her heart. Ciara felt a bloody hand touching her wrist.
“D-Don’t—ugh…worry about us.” Liam choked.
“Liam,” Ciara held Liam’s bloody hand. He’s dying…
“Ciara,” Chase muttered. “Y-you…need…to…escape…Ciara. G-g-get o-out of here…as fast…as…you…ca—” Chase coughed.
“Chase,” Ciara choked a sob and tightly closed her eyes, “I can’t…I can’t leave you two here…” Ciara cried and squeezed her hands on Liam’s hand, “You two were my closest friends-a family...” Ciara clenched her teeth, “Back at Sore Tower, I considered myself as a failure, but when you and Liam came along, you two made me feel like a human again,” she continued, “You two were the reasons why I’m Ciara. You two were the ones who changed my life. People misjudged me because I’m blind, but you two taught me what is friendship and teamwork. When Metric was exterminated, I thought I was going crazy.”
Ciara continued, “I’ve lost all my family, my entire village, and my one and only friend,” Ciara coughed, “I’ve been tortured, imprisoned in Sore Tower, and called a burden,” Ciara continued, “I’ve got nothing left… so please…I don’t want you two to…” Ciara paused, “die.”
Ciara swallowed her tears, her body trembling in fear. Everything had been taken away from her—her family, her friends, her villagers. And now…the Crude Brothers…
“This is my fault,” Ciara cried.
“No…i-it’s…not,” Liam said in a hush whisper. Ciara could feel their life slipping away. No, please don’t…
 “Capture her.” Virgo ordered. She ordered one Rein guard to arrest me. Ciara guessed because of the single clack of the gun on the Rein guard's shoulder.
Ciara didn’t move. Her body betrayed her. She lowered her head, her hair blocking her face, and bit her lip to constrain her tears.
Take me…Ciara thought. There is no future waiting for me anyway. Everyone is gone. Gone…
Their breathings were getting shallow. Ciara didn't have any Healing Swirls left. There was nothing she could do to save them.
This is the life of a Candidate. Ciara thought.
It’s in your fate, my child.
In 3 seconds, the Rein guard will come to take me away. In 3 seconds, they will bring me to the Epicenter so they can torture me. In 3 seconds, all my love ones will be gone. Ciara calculated. I have nothing now…
As the Rein guard’s footsteps got closer to her, Ciara didn’t try to escape. Instead, she was kneeling on the ground, waiting for her fate to come. The swish of the sand was getting louder, and the clang, click of the riffle was nearly close to her.
Ciara closed her eyes and took a shaky breath.
One
Two
Three.
Someone abruptly yelled, the sound followed by the wrenching of fabric, and the splashing of blood across the sand. Ciara jolted awake. What happened?
Beside her, Ciara heard a silent thump, and the clanging of riffle on the sand. The Rein guard is dead.
“What the hell!” Virgo yelled.
 Though her vision was still dark, Ciara could see a white silhouette standing on her right side. It was hard to make out the objects, but Ciara knew that heavy presence. It was a rowdy crowd of people.
The guns clicked all together, but something stopped them. Virgo ordered, “No. Don’t shoot them. Let them come.”
And just like that, the noise stopped.
I can hear two rhythmical footsteps coming closer. Ciara observed. No doubt about it. It’s a girl...because of the light weight thumps…and then…Ciara visualized. No, it couldn’t be. It was easy to guess who that person was because of the signature rustling of leaves and swishing of coats. Why is Kyra here?
 “Hello, Virgo.” that was definitely Kyra’s voice.
“Kyra,” Virgo said amusingly as if they'd already known each other for years, “How nice to see my ex-best friend coming in here to join the fun.”
Ex-best friend?
“It’s been years since we last saw each other at the Epicenter. Not after you and your brother had been banned from the Official Selection," Virgo said, “Are you here to defend your little cub from us?
“Not really,” Kyra said nonchalantly. “People like them are worth nothing to me.”
Ciara tightened her bloody hands on her lap.
That’s harsh,” Virgo chuckled, “Well, I shouldn’t expect from someone who is already an outsider.”
“Speaking of which, we haven’t got to finish our fight five years ago, Virgo, “Kyra snarled, “Are you prepared to face me again?”
 “You and your fights,” Virgo snorted, “You haven’t change a single bit, ex-best friend.”
“You too, ex-best friend.” Kyra snickered.
“Well, what are we standing here for? Let’s begin the fight!” Virgo shouted.
“Vixens vs. Majestics. I like that.” Kyra yelled. “Move out, Vixens!”
A blast of booming roar passed through Ciara’s eardrums. It was too noisy, too fierce— combined with boisterous screams, shouts, gashes and groans. What is happening? Ciara whisked her head, trying to catch up on what was going on, when something hit her from behind that sent her down to the ground.
Ciara coughed, and the back of her head throbbed. As if on cue, something fell from her hand. Quickly, she skimmed her hands around the round bottle, and got up.
A Healing Swirl.
If the bottle is round that means it’s a Healing Swirl. If it’s square, it’s another potion. Ciara memorized.
The uproarious battle went on. Ignoring the chances of being killed, Ciara immediately pulled the cork and tipped the bottle on Liam’s mouth. Liam coughed, which meant that he was still alive, as Ciara gently lowered his head on the sand. Hang on, Chase.
When Ciara moved closer to Chase, she heard something speeding toward her. I can hear fast swishing steps and something metallic dragging on the sound. Ciara concentrated. What is that weapon…a gun, spear, sword? That’s it. It’s a sword. I can feel the gravity and the impact of the sword’s blade tearing the ground.
Ciara’s head throbbed. The Rein guard is moving too fast. Ciara looked down. Ciara, move!
The wind was picking up its speed. Ciara was frozen in place. Move!
A horrid ripping sound of a body being sliced dropped in front of her. Ciara swallowed back the acid rising in her throat, feeling nauseous because of the odious smell of fresh blood filling the air.
“Ciara, are you alright!?” Macie yelled. Ciara flinched. Since when did Ciara last spoke to her? Three months…Four months? She barely recognized her friend’s presence because of the thousands of aura shifting from one position to another.
“M-Macie,” Ciara was stunned, “What are you doing here?”
“No time to explain, Ciara.” Macie said sternly. Last time Ciara talked to her, Macie was thanking her for being her friend. The weak girl that she once knew no longer stutters in her words. What have been Macie doing all these time? Ciara wondered.
Ciara could sense Macie kneeling beside her, and heard the sound of bottle popping, smelling citrus liquid. Another Healing Swirl.
“Good thing I brought an extra one, or else they won’t be able to make it,” Macie said, “Here, let me handle this,” Chase gagged. Macie must be given him the Healing Swirl. Macie continued, “Alright, now that I’ve given them the Healing Swirl, they should be able to make it after the fight. For now, let’s get the Crude Brothers to a safe place and try not to get killed.”
Ciara just simply nodded. Since when did Macie become so serious? The two girls pulled the Crude brothers up, supporting one arm on their shoulder as progressed toward the safe place where the water was. They’d luckily avoided any mishaps coming toward them, and stayed on the edge of the beach as they carried the Crude Brothers.
“What are you doing here?” Ciara said, having a hard time walking with Liam on her shoulder, because of her petite size. “Did you follow us here?”
“No,” Macie said, “Virgo ordered all of us to go to the Metric, I don’t know why, but she said something terrible is going to happen here.”
Kyra knows Virgo is here. But why is she hiding the truth from everyone? Did she send someone to trail us, just like what Virgo did?
 “First of all,” Macie said, panting, “How did you guys get in here without asking for Kyra’s permission first? Kyra doesn’t like everyone suddenly going off on their own, you know,” Macie continued, “Be careful, because once you get back to Sputter Palace, you won’t like what Kyra is doing to you.”
Ciara gulped. The punishment.
“Second, you three had been missing for three months now. Normally, when one of Vixen members gets missing, Kyra will send someone to search for the dead bodies,” Macie gulped, “When I didn’t heard anything from your team for 2 days, I thought you were…dead.”
Ciara shook her head and planted a little smile on her lips.
“Actually, Liam took a mission not—” Ciara said.
“A mission note!?” Macie stopped, “If you guys took the mission note, the person who requested it must notify Kyra right away. But why didn’t anyone tell Kyra? Who send the mission note, anyway?”
“Geoffre—” Ciara paused halfway, stopping to realize the situation.
Geoffrey is Kyra’s brother. And Virgo said that Kyra and her brother, Geoffrey have been banished from the Epicenter when they failed to be elected as Official. Ciara tried to connect everything inside her head.
Virgo knows about their location. Kyra knows that Virgo is here. Ciara studied the words circulating in her mind. Geoffrey posted the mission to get Liam’s attention, because he himself, is a high—Rank 4, since the reward is great.  Ciara thought. Geoffrey’s mission was to search for clues in Metric. That means, Geoffrey sent us here so I can recall my memories back and know the history about Metric.
If Kyra knows that something bad is happening here, why did she come here with the whole Vixen organization? Ciara thought. Think, Ciara. Think.
“Is Geoffrey close to Kyra?” Ciara said, replacing her words from earlier.
“No,” Macie said, “I never seen him once, but I’ve heard people talking about him. Also, I never once heard that Kyra is fond of his little brother.”
They were getting closer to the sea water, when Ciara’s legs gave up and collapsed on the sand with Liam beside her.
“Ciara!” Macie cried.
Since Kyra and Geoffrey aren’t close, they aren’t good friends either. Ciara studied.
You and your fight. You haven’t change a single bit, ex-best friend. Virgo’s words echoed in her head.
Knowing Kyra, the leader of the Vixen liked to fight. That is in her nature. Ciara thought. If Kyra sent that spy to track us, that spy must have known Virgo is here. Geoffrey tricked us. He set us up.
An ear-splitting scream broke her reverie, and the moment Ciara blinked, a hand was already on her throat, squeezing the life out of her. Thankfully, the scream didn’t belong to anyone she recognized.
“Ciara, duck!” Macie yelled. Ciara did, and after that, there was a loud slice and blood splashing on her face. No more…no more killing. Ciara gagged. She heard a sharp thud crashing on the ground, and felt herself hitting the sand. Who did that? What is happening? Ciara thought.
 Two small arms pulled Ciara up. Ciara staggered groggily, still dazzled from the strong scent of blood invading the air.
“Ciara, we need to hurry!” Macie shouted. Ciara could smell fresh blood on her right hand. She’s the one who killed the Rein guard. More like slice. Ciara shivered at the thought. What is that weapon? Since the thud was a heavy sound, it sounded like an axe. Macie continued, “Carry Liam up, and I’ll do the same with Chase.”
Ciara nodded, erasing the thoughts in her mind, and slowly bent down. She groped her hands until she could feel Liam’s muscled arm, supporting him up, with one arm draped on her shoulders.
“C…C-i...a—” Liam croaked.
A spark of hope rose up inside Ciara, “Don’t worry, Liam. We’ll get out of here, alive. I’ll promise you that.”
Liam didn’t respond. It seemed like he fainted, because Ciara could still hear small takings of breath coming from him.
They were getting close at the edge of the beach. Macie breathed beside her, “We’re getting closer…to the large boulder. Just…a…few…meter…and we’ll get there.”
Liam is so heavy. Ciara panted. Hang in there. We’ll be able to make it.
When they finally reached the boulder Macie was talking about, Ciara heard her friend putting Chase down on the ground. Then they gently placed Liam just beside Chase. Ciara looked up and felt the cold water up to her leg. We’re at the farthest side of the beach. With the boulder blocking us, it should be able to hide us until the Crude Brothers get better.
“Ugh…” Chase groaned.
Another popping sound and the shuffling of bodies. Since Ciara’s vision was pitched black, she would start to rely on her hearing senses again. I can hear someone gulping—Chase…and the sound of water spilling…Ciara analyzed. Macie must be giving Chase and Liam another Healing Swirl. When Ciara guessed that Macie was done, Macie said, “Good, I think that should keep you guys alive for now.” Macie continued, “I’m amazed how these two survived hundreds of bullets stuck inside their bodies.” Macie continued, “What’s more mysterious is that these two didn’t die when we carried them,” Macie said, her voice serious, “Imagine your body moving with hundreds of bullets inside your organs surviving a war. These two are really lucky boys.”
Not lucky. Ciara thought. They’re just…unpredictable.
“So how can we get the bullets out of their body?” Ciara said, feeling uneasy about the bullets inside the Crude Brother’s bodies.
“It’s a tricky one, but I’ll do it,” Macie said proudly, “Don’t worry. I brought all the tools on this journey, just in case if someone gets injured.”
Ciara wrinkled her nose when Macie put out her surgical tools. Macie said as if she’d read Ciara’s mind. “I know what you’re thinking. Sorry I didn’t told you earlier,” Macie said pleasantly, “I’m the daughter of a surgeon, so medicine is my specialty,” she continued, “Also, while you three were absent for three months, I’ve been upgraded to a Rank 2.”
The thought never came to Ciara. After their first meeting at Rank 1 class, Ciara thought Macie was just a very shy girl with no talent. But after hearing her success, especially becoming a Rank 2, Ciara couldn’t help but be proud of her friend. Who knew Macie had talent for saving people?
 “Alright, I’m going to start with Liam first.” Macie said, and Ciara could hear her stretching her gloves. Ciara started to look away. Macie chuckled, “I’m not going to perform the traditional surgery that involves a lot of cuts and everything,” Macie continued, ‘Instead, I’m going to perform a special one that only Vixens can only do.”
Macie went back to her serious doctor mode, while Ciara pressed her back against the boulder and looked away. She listened to what Macie explaining the surgery, “Okay, first I’ll let him drink Anesthesia Swirl. This Swirl will activate Liam’s body in sleeping mode, so he won’t be able to feel the pain. Next, I will let him drink the Injury Detector Swirl, so I could easily see where the bullets are—Yes, that’s it.”
Ciara gulped. She didn’t want to hear anymore of slicing and cutting, so she stayed silent. She trusted Macie enough to save the Crude Brothers. The beach was still invaded with clamorous noises—like the ones she heard when she came back to Metric. Gunshots rang in the air. Blades collided with metal. More bodies falling on the sand and splashing everywhere. Ciara pulled her knees up and buried her face on arms. When will this war stop? When can we have peace and quiet.
This is all my fault…I got everyone involved in this. Ciara blamed herself.
No, Ciara. Don’t blame yourself for everything you didn’t commit. Her conscious said.
“Ah! What an amazing sound,” Virgo’s voice was loud and distance, “Don’t you think so Kyra?” They were far from where Ciara was sitting, fighting using their blades. Ciara never thought that Kyra and Virgo were best friends once, or they lived in the Epicenter before Kyra was sent down to the Casts. It was hard to analyze what everyone was doing. All Ciara could do was wait for Macie to finish, and listen to Kyra and Virgo’s voices across the beach.
“Indeed.” Kyra said. Another sound of blade, and metal. “When was the last time we fought together, three years? Five years—”
“We fought before I became the official Empress of Epicenter.” Virgo shouted excitedly. Ciara squinted her eyes and noticed their outline were moving fast, as if they were dots jumping from right to left, right to left. Ciara never knew that even as an Empress, Virgo was a very skilled swordswoman, like Kyra. They wanted nothing but to gain power and use everyone as their warriors.
“It’s a shame that I haven’t been chosen as the Empress.” Kyra said, and Ciara heard a tear jerking rip of cloth.
“But you became the leader of the anti-government Vixens, right?” Virgo protested, “Aren’t you happy with your organization?”
“I was, until that Blind Candidate came along.” Kyra sneered, and Virgo laughed.
“Funny,” Virgo chuckled, “After all, it was your little cub who adopted her, right? Liam Crude wasn’t it?” Virgo chuckled. “I could remember him when he was at part, strapped against a ch—”
Tching!
By the time Ciara looked up, something nearly struck her, just inches right beside her ear. She heard a sudden thud on top of her, and felt her heart stomped a beat.
“Ciara! Are you alright!?” Macie exclaimed.
What is that? Sweat dripped down Ciara’s forehead. Ciara slowly looked up and noticed a metallic blade just above her, missing her head. She raised her hand and skimmed her hands on the weapon. The blade is long and sharp. Ciara analyzed. Half of the body is stuck on the rock. A sword—not just any sword. It’s Virgo’s.
All of times, why must the sword be tossed in this spot? Ciara sighed in relief.
Suddenly, the noises died down and everything was quiet again. What happened?
  “You lose, Virgo!” Kyra’s voice struck the silence.
“Hmph!” Virgo shouted. “There is no loser in Epicenter, remember that Kyra.” She burst into a high pitched laugh. “It was a good fight that I haven’t had in years. We should do it sometime—and it should be our last battle when we fight again.”
“Agree,” Kyra said.
“I will come back for you, wait for me Kyra.” Virgo said, and snapped her fingers. “We’re retreating. Let’s go!”
After the footsteps were gone and everything was back to normal again, Ciara couldn’t help to think that she had just survived a first war. Virgo’s sword still stayed above her head, and Ciara heard everyone retreating back.
 “Finally, I’m finished with both of them,” Macie said after the Rein army had retreated, “They should be able to move, but not too much, or else their wounds will reopen again.”
“Is it over?” Ciara whispered and she heard the whisking of hair. No.
“Nothing will be over if there is still war,” Macie said in a serious tone.
After a few minutes of silence, Kyra shouted, loud enough for her whole herd to be heard. “My cubs, we have won! Now, get up and we will celebrate our victory back at the sputter palace!”
Everyone burst into a deafening cheer. Ciara squeezed her hands on her ears to lower down the noise. The noises continued to separate. One crowd on the right, and four footsteps shuffling toward her. They must be the other Vixens. Ciara thought.
“Are they alright?” Ciara heard voices beside her. They weren’t talking to her, but to Macie. Ciara lowered her head, forgetting that Vixens hated her.
“What are they doing in here?”
“We need to carry them, get the rest of the medical team!”
Voices exploded from her ears. The people were only talking to Macie, oblivious to Ciara’s presence as if she wasn’t there. She heard them grabbing and pulling the Crude brothers up, until she was noticed she was the only one sitting on the boulder.
They left me here…Ciara thought. I guess everyone doesn’t like me…
The place turned quiet; the wind blowing hard, spreading the foul smell of blood in the air.
Ciara lowered her head and buried her face on her knees. Everyone just ignored her, as if she was a ghost. She sobbed. Everyone got hurt because of her. They hated her, because she wasn’t a part of the Vixens. A pang of guilt and sadness throbbed in her chest. She was always the blind girl—the one who triggered those bombs. The one who caused this entire mess.
It took a matter of seconds before someone interrupted her thoughts. “Hey, you’re not going to sit there and cry, right?” Macie said. Ciara looked up, her cheeks spattered with wet tears. Macie continued, “Come on, get up, we need to bring back the Crude brothers so they can rest properly.”
Ciara didn’t say a word. Macie shook her shoulders. “Ciara, you’re not useless. The Crude brothers saved you. Do you want to waste that away? Come on, snap out of yourself!” Macie continued, “Don’t you notice that your vision is getting better every day?”
Ciara froze. “H-how do you know that?”
Macie took a deep breath, “Because, I put some antidote with your Healing Swirl. So every time you take some healing Swirl, your eyesight is improving a lot.”
“But—”
“You know, my dream is to become a doctor and save many lives,” Macie said dreamily, “My dad lives in the Group. He often taught me how to interpret some healing herbs and make some potions. I never imagined that I will someday reach my dream, so…” Macie looked back at her. “Whatever your dream is, keep believing that you will reach it.” Ciara began to sob, and Macie wiped the tears off her eyes. “Don’t cry. I know it’s hard, but you taught me that. You’re the one who changed me, so thank you, Ciara.”
To her surprise, Macie hugged her, and in return, Ciara did the same. “Let’s go home, right, best friend?”
Ciara slowly nodded, while Macie helped her to her feet. The two of them started to head toward the Vixen crowd, holding each other’s hands on the way home.
z
By using the Acceleration Swirl invented by a certain Rank 3, the Vixens reached their home within three days without any rest at all. So by the time they arrived at Sputter Palace, they were exhausted and had already tossed themselves on their beds. The celebration was moved tomorrow.
The Crude brothers were resting at the clinic, thanks to some Medical Rank 2’s. Macie went back to her own room to sleep, leaving Ciara standing outside the hallway near the clinic door. Ciara tightened her fist. Because of Macie’s words, the depression Ciara had been feeling slowly disappeared. Wordlessly, Ciara pushed the doorknob of the clinic and swung the door open.
The last time Ciara had stayed in the clinic was because of the injury she got from the punishment. Before they arrived at Sputter Palace, Macie let Ciara drink the Antidote Swirl and left. It was so strange. For now, Ciara could see the faint outlines of the objects placed inside the room.
The source of light 4 inches left to the center. Ciara guessed. That must be the moonlight. Everything was becoming clear as if the blurriness in her vision was starting to sharpen. Ciara looked down. This is the floor. The two grayish outline below must be my feet.
Ciara wiggled her toes. She couldn’t see the details of her nails, or the shade of her veins, but she could recognize the object without squinting. I can’t believe that it was Macie who cured my blindness. Ciara thought.
The room was eerie quiet. Ciara raised her left hand and turned her palm over. Five curve outlines. That must be the fingers…Ciara thought. Her vision was colorless. Only a shade of gray, black and white, and the blur.
Ciara tried to study her new vision. The bright light must be the moonlight…Ciara whisked her head to the side. I see…1, 2, 3, 4…10…white pads on the floor…Ciara thought. That must be the bed… and the dark squares beside the white squares must be the table.
Ciara turned to her left. I see two dark haired boys...half of them covered with the white. Ciara guessed. They must be lying on the bed….first and the second one to the right side near the light—the window.
Ciara beamed. She could already recognize the objects around her. But still, the background on her vision was still blurry and she couldn’t see the rest of the details.
Slowly, Ciara took quiet steps and kneeled beside the first boy. Ciara stared at him for a long time. It’s hard to determine who is Liam, or Chase because of their short hair and same shape of their face…and they both have dark hair too.
Carefully, Ciara brushed the boy’s bangs on his forehead using her fingers, and tried to guess who the boy was. The boy’s forehead is warm, even though it’s still winter…and his bangs are thick too…The boy didn’t move, and Ciara traced her fingers to feel his cheekbones, then his lips.
“Ciara,”
Ciara flinched. It was Chase who called her. So this is Liam I’m touching. Ciara turned around and carefully crawled next to Chase, who was lying on the second bed.
“Where are we?” Chase muttered weakly and Ciara felt his hand on top of her right hand, “Are we in Sputter Palace, already?”
“Yes,” Ciara said quietly. “The Vixens won the fight between, but it’s not over yet.”
Chase sighed, “There is never an ending to wars, Ciara.” Chase continued. “Also, while I was unconscious, I heard the medical Rank 2’s talking about Macie saving us. Is that true?”
Ciara nodded, and Chase chuckled. “Wow, I didn’t know she was a great healer.” And then something struck Ciara’s stomach, as if there was an empty hole inside her chest.
“Yeah,” Ciara said quietly.
“Hey,” Chase muttered. “I owe you my life, Ciara. Without you and Macie, we could have died and Liam—” After a few seconds, he continued. “Never mind, I’m sure you’re tired. You should sleep, Ciara.”
Ciara nodded and saw Chase’s outline facing the opposite side. Chase must be sleeping. Many things fascinated her. Her improved vision, Macie’s great talent, and the use of Accelerator Swirl. Ciara didn’t move for a while. Ciara didn’t want to go back to her room, not when she was feeling alone. Ciara crawled next to Liam, wrapping herself with the fur blanket, and slept in, feeling Liam’s warm body pressing against her skin.



Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment